Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 13:58:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        <nathan@vidican.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>, <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Athlon MP / AMD 760MP Chipset (Athlon SMP question)

On 2001-07-09, Nathan Vidican scribbled:

#     Just for the record, is it or is it not possible to run SMP with
# the new Athlon MP Processors; or has no-one even tried yet? Currently
# the only O/S I know of which is promoting the usage of such systems is
# Novell Netware, and I am just curious if FreeBSD will (if it is not
# currently) be capable of running on such a system?

John Baldwin sendout a message to freebsd-smp with the dmesg and mptable
dump from the dual-Athlon reference board (called Guiness... which
coincidentally is the same board as the Tyan 760MP motherboard, since
Tyan made the ref board). I could well be the final production board
that one can get now for 500+ US dollars.

You can find the message here (the URL is kinda long):
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=651522+663926+/usr/local/www/db/text/2001/freebsd-hackers/20010422.freebsd-hackers+raw

It seems to show that the person was able to get 2 AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz
processors (dunno if they are the Thunderbird or the Palimino, aka
Athlon MP, revision of the Athlon) running.

Outside of FreeBSD compatibility, the motherboard does require a
proprietary power connector and a power supply rated at or over 460W.
The motherboard itself is an extended ATX motherboard... meaning that it
may not fit in every case (although it will fit into a WTX case... just
it can't use a WTX power supply). It also requires quite a bit of
cooling since two 1.2Ghz Athlons (even Paliminos) require a lot of power
and produce a heck of a lot of heat!

The motherboard also requires Registered (ECC) DDR SDRAM... for those
who want 3+ GB of RAM, one manufacturer got the thumbs up on getting a
1GB Registered DDR SDRAM module approved for use with the motherboard
(don't know if it will fit into a 1U rackmount case or not).

--
Linh Pham
[lplist@closedsrc.org]

// 404b - Brain not found