Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:56:49 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Roberto Pereyra <netbsd@contenidosonline.com.ar>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel: sioxx: silo overflow with 8 ports pci MOXA cards

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Roberto Pereyra wrote:

> Another question:
>
> I have another server with a 2 port
>
> I must use PUC_FASTINTR and COM_MULTIPORT options with it ?

No.  Using COM_MULTIPORT is an error unless you have an old isa multiport
card or possibly a pci card not supported by puc.

> I enable in the kernel the PUC_FASTINTR options but this dmesg continues:
>
> My dmesg is:
>
> sio4: <Dolphin Peripherals 4036> on puc0
> sio4: type 16550A
> sio4: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode
> sio5: <Dolphin Peripherals 4036> on puc0
> sio5: type 16550A
> sio5: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode

This means that PUC_FASTINTR didn't work.  The interrupt for the puc
device must not be shared for it to work.  This can sometimes be arranged
by moving pci cards to different slots.  Without ACPI, there are typically
3-way possible sharings, with the irq for each slot shared with that of
another slot and with 1 non-slot device or the AGP slot.  The video
interrupt is not used by FreeBSD so sharing with it doesn't matter and
the best way to start moving pci cards is to put one that you want to
have a non-shared interrupt in the slot that shares its interrupt with
the AGP card.  Then avoid using the other slot that shars the interrupt.
With ACPI, the ACPI BIOS should allocate interrupts more sparsely and
less juggling may work.

> sio0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on acpi0
> sio0: type 16550A
> sio1 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on acpi0
> sio1: type 16550A

I hope you didn't lose the other 6 devices on the puc card.

Bruce