Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 00:41:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange error

Matthew N. Dodd wrote...
> On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > > ch0: 16 slots, 1 drive, 1 picker, 1 portal
> >
> > Ahh, interesting.  A portal, even.  Hmm.
>
> Indeed.  A mammal media door.

'Eh?  You mean like a marsupial or...

> > What command did you use to try to format it?
>
> 'camcontrol cmd -n pass -u X -v -c "4 0 0 0 0 0"'
>
> > Hmm, dunno.  Test unit ready and start unit are the normal commands to
> > send.  I guess you could try a read capacity.  Have you tried booting the
> > machine with a disk in the drive?  (the da driver issues a read capacity
> > command at probe time)
>
> Oct 14 17:56:23 eisa-test /kernel: (da2:bt0:0:2:0): READ CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> Oct 14 17:56:23 eisa-test /kernel: (da2:bt0:0:2:0): NOT READY asc:4,2
> Oct 14 17:56:23 eisa-test /kernel: (da2:bt0:0:2:0): Logical unit not ready, initializing cmd. required
> Oct 14 17:56:23 eisa-test /kernel: (da2:bt0:0:2:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device(da2:bt0:0:2:0): removing device entry
>
> When I boot with media in the drive.

That's pretty lame.  Typical of HP, though.  I've got an HP WORM drive that
does something similar when there's no media in it.  (returns 0x04,0x00
instead of 0x3a,0x00)

> Most annoying this behavior.  I'm not sure why it thinks it needs to
> remove the device entry.

Because we got a fatal error back on the probe.  If the da driver gets a
fatal error back, it just assumes that it can't talk to the device.

I've attached a patch that should make it attach for you.

> > > If it would help I have the entire SCSI reference for the drive and the
> > > changer available. (2meg PDF @ 600 odd pages).  My review of this document
> > > has turned up nothing but maybe someone a bit more clued in to the SCSI
> > > system would have better luck.
> >
> > Well, send it on.  I'll take a look through it when I get a chance and see
> > if I can figure out what's going on.  (or you can just give me the URL to
> > download it from somewhere)
>
> ftp://ftp.jurai.net/users/winter/C1716_scsi.pdf

Downloading it now, thanks.  ...and the font is pretty crappy.  It looks
like they scanned the thing in or something.

> HP SureStore support was kind of anal about giving it to me and put it up
> on their ftp site in a hidden directory and removed it after I downloaded
> it so I'm not sure how keen they are to have this info broadbanded but its
> of limited use to anyone without the drive (well, not quite limited use)
> and they shipped a hardcopy of this thing with all the units they sold
> through 3rd parties back when.
>
> Oh, and they didn't tell me I couldn't.

Stupid vendors.  I wish all SCSI vendors would just put full specs on their
web site...

> So have at.
>
> > Did this work under the old SCSI code?  Do you know if it works with any
> > other OSes?
>
> I'm pretty sure they worked with VMS at one point.

Hmm.  Of course that still doesn't preclude the possibility that they've
gotten broken in the intervening time period.

> I'd test 'em with Linux but 1. linux doesn't support OPTICAL devices  2.
> linux has no way to set mode pages that I can tell.  3. linux has no scsi
> changer support.  My NetBSD machines didn't seem to like them but I didn't
> try very hard and they are all running really old software.

My guess is that you'd have more luck with NetBSD, but probably not any
more than you'd have with FreeBSD/CAM.  (our changer driver is a port of
theirs, but I'm not sure whether they have optical disk support or not)

Anyway, I'll try to look through the spec a bit sometime and see if I can
find anything incriminating.  Try out the attached patch, it'll at least
let the da driver attach to the thing.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry