Date:      Wed, 04 Jul 2001 10:33:23 -0400
From:      Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Advocacy <advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: BSD, .Net comments - any reponse to this reasoning?

Actually, I've heard that Borland is going to be implementing a similar
scheme in its next generation of development tools and require the user to
register online or by some other means in order to get a key to run the
software for more than a limited period of time.  Your software then
essentially becomes a very expensive time-limited shareware demo until you
complete that process.

Just as Microsoft led the Windows application industry away from version
numbers (like 3.11, 4.0, 6.2a, etc.), I suspect that their legitimizing
this new form of licensing will incite a lot of other companies to follow
their lead.  Hopefully they won't all start telling us that we'll have to
renew those licenses every few years or so either.

--Chip Morton