Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 01:02:05 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic

I believe that I found the cause of my problems.  It was not an
incorrectly updated /etc as I previously reported.

So when I upgraded from a Cyrix to a Pentium, I had to recompile
my kernel because I was changing from a 486 to a 586 (as the
kernel options put it).

So I did

cd /sys/i386/conf
/usr/sbin/config MONT
cd ../../compile/MONT
make depend
make
make install

What I think I should have done, before running the second command is:

rm -r ../../compile/MONT

That is, I was hoping to reduce the amount of time to compile the
kernel by only recompiling the bits I need.  But I guess an action
as changing from a 486 to a 586 is such that make will not recompile
all the bits that need recompiling.

Well, that is what I think it was.  I have not had the problems since.

Hope this might help someone else who falls into the same trap as I did.

--

Stephen Montgomery-Smith              stephen@math.missouri.edu
307 Math Science Building             stephen@showme.missouri.edu

Phone (573) 882 4540