Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 05:15:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, mark@grondar.za, committers@FreeBSD.org, root@FreeBSD.org, postmaster@FreeBSD.org, hubs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Too much cruft

 * > > I have noticed an _enormous_ amount of wasted space in the master
 * > > site's distribution/ directory. It seems that as ports get upgraded,
 * > > many out-of-date tarballs do not get nuked. I created this directory
 * > > on my machine by doin a "make fetch" in /usr/ports, but internat's
 * > > is a mirror of the dir on ftp.freebsd.org. This latter dir is nearly
 * > > 200MB larger that mine!

Note that it is not only because of old distfiles.  For instance, how
large is your pkfonts/ subdir?  You need to run "make fetch" multiple
times in japanese/pkfonts and print/pkfonts with RESOLUTION set to
various values to get what wcarchive has (89MB).

 * > > Could someone please clean this out?

I usually delete the old tarball if it hasn't been used in the
previous release (2.1.5 in this case).  I said "usually" because
sometimes I forget.  I occasionally go there and do a manual check of
the whole place too.

If someone is willing to help me do this, I'll be eternally grateful.
It's not that hard, just do a

cvs diff -D 07/20/96 /usr/ports/*/*/files/md5

to get the list of all distfiles that were needed for 2.1.5R as well
as the ones that are needed now, and compare that to an output of ls
at wcarchive.  Then send me a list of files I need to delete.

 * Would it be possible to put distfiles in a per-version location?  i.e.
 * distfiles that were shipped with ports-2.1 should go in distfiles-2.1,
 * etc.

I thought about this before, but came to the conclusion that that
would be too hard to maintain unless we are willing to waste even more
space.  (I.e., "mv distfiles distfiles-2.2; mkdir distfiles" and then
just update the new "distfiles" dir. :)

 * This will help the namespace collision problems, also.

This is true.  I've always been bothered by the fact that when I put a
new lynx tarball (for instance) up there, I might be breaking the
build for 2.1.5R users.  But these ports are the vast minority, and I
don't think it's worth the added administrative overhead.

Satoshi