Date:      Sat, 02 Jun 2018 18:16:10 -0400
From:      Brennan Vincent <brennan@umanwizard.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is it normal that a user can take down the whole system by using too much memory?

--_----------=_152797777026513781

The attached program `eatmem.c` is a simple example to waste N gigs of memory as quickly as possible.

When I run something like `eatmem 32` (on a system with less than 32GB of RAM), about half the time everything works fine: the system quickly runs out of RAM and swap, the kernel kills `eatmem`, and everything recovers. However, the other half of the time, the system becomes completely unusable: my ssh session is killed, important processes like `init` and `getty` are killed, and it's impossible to even log into the system (the local terminal is unresponsive, and I can't ssh in because sshd is killed immediately whenever it tries to run). The only way to recover is by rebooting.

Is this expected behavior?

My system details are as follows:
FreeBSD 12 CURRENT x86_64 guest on VMWare Fusion.
ram: 8 GB
swap: 1 GB
Host: macbook pro running macOS.

--_----------=_152797777026513781

I2luY2x1ZGUgPHN0ZGlvLmg+CiNpbmNsdWRlIDxzdGRsaWIuaD4KCiNkZWZp
bmUgUEFHRV9TSVpFIDQwOTYKaW50IG1haW4oaW50IGFyZ2MsIGNoYXIgKiph
cmd2KQp7CglzaXplX3QgZ2IgPSBhdG9pKGFyZ3ZbMV0pOwoJc2l6ZV90IHN6
ID0gZ2IgKiAxMDI0ICogMTAyNCAqIDEwMjQ7Cgl2b2xhdGlsZSBjaGFyICpt
ZW0gPSBtYWxsb2Moc3opOwoJaWYgKCFtZW0pIHsKCQlmcHJpbnRmKHN0ZGVy
ciwgIkNvdWxkbid0IG1hbGxvYyFcbiIpOwoJCXJldHVybiAtMTsKCX0KCXdo
aWxlICgxKQoJCWZvciAoc2l6ZV90IGkgPSAwOyBpIDwgc3o7IGkgKz0gUEFH
RV9TSVpFKQoJCQltZW1baV0gPSAwOwp9Cg==

--_----------=_152797777026513781--