Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2012 21:58:02 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        "Daniel P. Wright" <dani@dpwright.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keyboard cutting off soon after launching X

Hi,

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 08:17:27 -0600 (MDT)
Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Daniel P. Wright wrote:
>
> > I am having issues with my keyboard running FreeBSD 9-RELEASE.  It
> > is recognised fine by the system and works within the console
> > (outside of X), but within a couple of minutes of X launching it
> > stops working in X.  I can still use ctrl-alt-F1 (or whatever) to
> > break back out to the console, and from there can kill X and
> > relaunch.  It cuts out within a minute or so every time though, so
> > the computer is pretty much unusable under X.
> >
> > I've seen similar problems on the FreeBSD forums, and tried to
> > follow the advice there, namely:
> >
> > 1) Ensuring the half and dubs daemons are running
>
> hald and dbus...
>
> > 2) Setting [Option  "AutoAddDevices"  "Off"] in xorg.conf
>
> This tells X not to use hald.  If you window manager/desktop
> environment does not require hald, not running hald at all might fix
> the problem. dbus can be kept.  AFAIK, xfce is the only desktop
> environment that doesn't need hald, but all the simpler window
> managers should be fine.

I ran FreeBSD since 8 on this machine but I have had to start finding a
new setting for xorg.conf to make X working again after a recent
upgrade.

Enable moused in rc.conf and the following from xorg.conf helped me this
time:

#
# 24.07.12 ed:	we enable the mouse and see what will happen.
#
Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "X.org Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"	# 24.07.12 ed:
enabled for 1.7.7 #	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section	"ServerFlags"
	Option	"AllowEmptyInput"	"false"	#
16.07.10 ed: enabled for 1.7.5 # 24.07.12 ed: disabled for 1.7.7
													#
16.07.12 ed:	setting it to false
#					freezes X until mouse
#					moves #
Option	"AutoAddDevices"	"false" EndSection

I have had to define the mouse as InputDevice and set AllowEmptyInput
to false.

Just play with these settings and see what happens. Of course, focus on
the keyboard and not the mouse as I have had to do.

 Erich