Date:      Thu, 29 May 2003 17:17:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        Brad du Plessis <bradd@cat.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Modem support

Brad du Plessis wrote:

> How do I find out before I go and buy a usb modem that its going to be
> detected as a umodem or a ugen device.

Take your notebook to the USB-dealer :-) and ask if you can connect the
thingie to test it.

> Are usb modems with CAPI support always winmodems?

You mix things up.

A modem (MOdulator / DEModulator) is a piece of hardware usually
interfacing a RS232 serial line to a telephone line. The data
from the serial line is converted into tones sent over the phone
line which are decoded back to computer data on the remote end.
The call control is usually done in-band by using the the Hayes
AT-protocol.

As Garret said, an USB modem is a device that claims in the USB
control protocol to be a modem ( = RS232 is replaced by the USB).

CAPI is an application programming interface for ISDN applications
interfacing to some (PCI / ISA / USB / whatever) hardware device(s)
(and it is also used for other communication stuff like X.25 etc.)

There is NO such thing which is commonly called "ISDN modem".

A winmodem is a little bit of hardware / silicon which perhaps is
going to look like a modem when it is used by some proprietary
binary-only software (= libraries = RS232 is replaced by some software
which makes the silicon virtually look like a RS232 connector). I have
no idea if you get this type of s**t with a USB interface ... (and in
case you would get it, i think that the USB would be used to exchange
highly propietary and undocumented data to interface the silicon to the
software library).

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis       Hamburg, Europe       hm\at\kts.org        www.kts.org
a duck is like a bicycle because they both have two wheels except the duck (tl)