Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 09:44:13 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Marc Schneiders" <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: KDE problems

>>| I didn't see the question but if it wasn't answered by someone more
>>| knowledgable yet you may need to re-phrase the question.

>There was no reply whatsoever. I don't know any other relevant information
>to add. Dmesg would be useless.

Well I haven't a clue what "Dmesg" does anyway so you are obviously a way
ahead of me on that score. I get confused enough with the basic stuff so I
try to
only learn just the bare essentials of what I need to sort out the immediate
issue.
that way I can absorb stuff in small enough doses so I don't get brain
overload.

>>| I've always
>>| had responses (although generally critical of Microsoft email clients)
>>| when posting questions from Outlook so I doubt thats an issue.
>>|

>Have you? I am not so sure. As far as I can see newbie type questions are
>not answered on some BSD-lists at least. Maybe not the Free one.

I know a couple of the contributors hate newbies but thankfully most of the
experts do at least try to help. We really should make a point of using only
email clients that don't make them mad though ..... Outlook email does look
a bit messy in unix .... I'll install Eudora this morning as it seems to do
a bit
more acceptable presentation for people receiving in the likes of Pine

>>I have had no problems either with Linux, or BSD for that matter before
>>this.

I really think BSD is better suited as a server installation than a
workstation anyway,
as it seems to do that job better than any linux, I probably won't use linux
again personally
as I don't have time for the fanatic attitude of most of the faithful, and
the docs are utterly unintelligible ..... at least FreeBSD equivalents are a
bit more readable even if most of them still go right over my head. I guess
I can see I will be able to wade through the BSD stuff someday whereas I
don't see how anyone can get anyplace with linux MAN's & HOWTO's

>>I took the easy one, the FreeBSD package, kde-1.1.1.
>>Maybe I should have done it through the ports. Problem is that this often
>>fails as not all ftp-sites from which ports get files support passive ftp,
>>which I need. Which means being stuck half way with a lot of garbage
around
>>and nothing working. So I get the packages myself and install them and
then
>>when they fail over a missing dependency I get that or those, install them
>>and then again the thing I wanted. Worked until now fine for me. But I
think
>>this is *not* the cause of my problems.

I might be missing something, but why not just go purchase a CD distribution
.... thats
the only way I've been able to get installation to work without major
problems