Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2013 17:59:06 -0500
From:      Joe Moog <joemoog@ebureau.com>
To:        sbruno@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Intel 4-port ethernet adaptor link aggregation issue

On Aug 1, 2013, at 5:36 PM, Sean Bruno <sean_bruno@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> UPDATE: After additional testing, I'm beginning to suspect the igb =
driver. With our setup, ifconfig identifies all the ethernet ports as =
igb(0-5). I configured igb0 with a single static IP address (say, =
192.168.1.10), and was able to connect to the host administratively. =
While connected, I enabled another port as a second standalone port, =
again with a unique address (say, 192.168.1.20), and was able to access =
the host via that interface as well. The problem arises when we attempt =
to similarly add a third interface to the mix -- and it doesn't seem to =
matter what interface(s) we use, or in what order we activate them. =
Always on the third interface, that third interface fails to respond =
despite showing "active" both in ifconfig and on the switch.
>>=20
>> If there is anything else I could try that would be useful to help =
identify where the issue may reside, please let me know.
>>=20
>> Thanks
>>=20
>> Joe
>=20
> Your test seems to indicate that the *first* port on the quad-port =
card
> is causing you issues as the on-board interfaces igb0/1 are working
> fine.
>=20
> Can you bring up *any* ports on the quad-port card?
>=20
> Are you sure that device enumeration is correct in the host o/s and =
that
> port 1 on the aud-port card is really igb2, port 2 is igb3, etc ?
>=20
> Sean

Sean:

It is not always the first port on the NIC. The host maps the ports the =
same way every time, in the same order, so this doesn't appear to be of =
any consequence. We can enable any one port on the host (on-board or =
NIC), and then enable another (again, on-board or NIC), and both appear =
to function as expected. The problem arises when we enable a third port =
-- any port, in any order. That third port always fails to respond =
appropriately in our setup, despite appearing to be active according to =
ifconfig and the interface status on the switch. Any port activated =
after the second one fails to respond to any sort of network activity.

Is it possible there is a sysctl option that is restricting igb from =
allowing more than two active ethernet ports?

Thanks

Joe=