Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 18:00:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      NAKAJI Hiroyuki <nakaji@tutrp.tut.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/33676: New port: japanese/samba22 (Samba-2.2.2-ja-1.0)

The following reply was made to PR ports/33676; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: NAKAJI Hiroyuki <nakaji@tutrp.tut.ac.jp>
To: "Akinori MUSHA" <knu@iDaemons.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 10:57:10 +0900

 knu> How about copying the stock ja-samba port (2.0.x) to japanese/samba20
 knu> and updating japanese/samba to 2.2.x ?  Is there any stability or
 knu> incompatibility issue in the new version?

 To copy the stock ja-samba to japanese/samba20 is a good idea. There
 are still many users of samba-2.0.10-ja-1.2. I think
 it is good to name them like this:

    japanese/samba => japanese/samba20
    new port       => japanese/samba

 Plese rename japanese/samba to japanese/samba20 for backward
 compatibirity, and substitute japanese/samba by the new port of
 samba-2.2.2-ja-1.0.

 knu> If so, I'd suggest adding the new version as japanese/samba-devel
 knu> (which should be repocopied from japanese/samba).  If you don't like
 knu> the suffix "-devel", use it "-latest", "-beta" or whatever you think
 knu> fits it.

 No, there should not be any stability nor incompatibility
 issue. Samba-2.2.2-ja-1.0 is not '-devel', '-latest' nor '-beta', but,
 of cource, it is always 'under developing'. :)

 The Samba Users' Group Japan intends to move their target for i18n of
 samba to be based on samba-2.2.2 and samba-3.0. Samba-2.0.10 has been
 already obsoleted and its fix will be made only for security issues.

 Thanks for an advice.
 --
 NAKAJI Hiroyuki