Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 19:42:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        rashid@rk.ios.com (Rashid  Karimov)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW - how fast/robust is it ?

> 		Hi there folx,
>
> 	I'm about to implement some filtering here
> 	on user servers , namely I want to disallow
> 	users to provide any TCP services (bind and
> 	listen on ports above 1024).
>
> 	They should be able to use ftp in the passive mode,
> 	so there's no problem there.
>
> 	So as I understand I can do it via IPFW mechanism.
> 	The only Q is , since the thing is so deep in the
> 	kernel , how robust and stable it is ?
>
> 	How does it affect the networking in the sense of
> 	speed , etc ?

I haven't noticed significant performance degradation running a dozen and a
half rules on a busy 386DX/40 (T1 router).  Stability is impeccable for most
things (some features I tried under 2.0.5R had some problems, but the basics
are rock solid).  The router in question was up over 100 days.

That's not to say there isn't a performance penalty, I'm just saying I
haven't noticed it if it's there.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968