Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2007 17:49:37 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        ray@stilltech.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new server setup questions

Ray wrote:
> On Saturday 17 March 2007 6:27 pm, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> Ray wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I'm trying to setup a new server, and I'm having some problems mostly
>>> with the network card. (machine specs follow) I can't get a driver to
>>> work for the integrated network card.  I've spent a number of hours on
>>> google / "the complete freeBSD" / "the freeBSD handbook". the handbook
>>> (section 11.8
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config-network-
>>> setup.html) outlines using ndis (project evil) drivers. I tried using
>>> this. I went through ndisgen, and everything seemed to work. I then tried
>>> to use kldload and got the error message:
>>> "kldload: can't load file.ko :operation not permitted"
>>> of course I did all of this as root. I am using the amd64 version of
>>> freeBSD (is this my first mistake?) and the 64 bit version of the
>>> drivers. as a side note, the supplied driver disk includes a source
>>> version of the linux driver. is there any way to use this?
>>> Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
>>> Ray
>>> machine specs
>>> ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE mobo
>>> 2GB ram
>>> AMD 5200 x2 processor (sorry, the box isn't in front of me)
>> Not sure if nForce drivers are supported on the 6.2 install CD. You
>> might want to give one of the 7-CURRENT driver CDs a go. Grab a snapshot
>> iso from <ftp://ftp7.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/200703>, or the
>> directory above it in one of the other snapshot directories if that
>> doesn't work for you.
> Thanks for the response.
> just 2 questions:
> 1) is 7-CURRENT ready for a production environment?

By no means yet.

> 2) should I stick with amd64 or should I go back to i386?

I don't think that will solve the problem. I think it has to do with
driver availability. If you can get the 7-CURRENT snapshot to install
and upgrade the source tree with amd64, you might be able to update the
sources for your system and get on track with 6.2-RELEASE.

-Garrett