Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 2004 04:36:29 +0200
From:      "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [patch] lockf(3) user-exploitable kernel panic

Brian F. Feldman wrote:

>>>If it is easy, it might be worthwhile to patch the shells to use
>>>libutil and submit those patches back to the maintainers.
>>
>>There are a huge number of shells to do this with. This subsystem
>>looks like somewhat of a kludge to me in this respect; the
>>functionality is plainly provided in libutil, while every shell (sh
>>and tcsh included) have their own implementations. limits(1)
>>even has statically compiled information about the limits for
>>every shell it is aware of (including sh, csh, tcsh, bash/bash2
>>and a good few others). I'll take a look at these later.
>

> Thanks for doing this work, Devon!  The most important part is for
> /etc/login.conf to allow you to configure the maximum limits -- all the
> shell stuff is really secondary.

Hrm, it seems that my last email went to /dev/null, so I'll write it
again. :)

I'm glad to have done this work, and I hope I can help out in the future
with squashing more bugs :)

I don't know who's taken a look at the patch, but it's available at
http://freebsd0.sitetronics.com/~dodell/patches/lockfix.tar.gz.
login.conf limits are already taken care of; so are libutil, limit(1),
tcsh and sh.

Regarding Linux compatibility: it seems to me that Linux limits the
number of flock-style locks as well. This seems unnecessary as that is
effectively limited by the maximum open files rlimit (since these types
of locks are one-per-file). Still, if we wish to be compatible, the
patch can be modified to affect locks of all types, though not easily.
BSD-style locks (flock(2)) don't contain process information in the
lf_id field, unlike POSIX locks, which means that keeping track of them
per-process can get difficult. Since they're limited by the
maxfilesperproc and maxprocesses anyway, it seems a bit overkill to
introduce a manner to track these locks on a per-process basis. As long
as an administrator keeps these limits to sane values, there is no
reason that flock(2)-style locks should pose a problem.

OTOH, the lockf(3) (POSIX-style) locks can easily be limited per
process; this would simply remove the per-user checks and counts in my
code (and fix the fact that change_ruid() needs a struct proc *). Extra
sanity checks for fork(2) calls are unnecessary as POSIX locks aren't
inherited.

Again, any and all feedback would be appreciated. What do I need to do
to get this all squared away and ready for commitment. (I'll generate
patches for all non-EOLed systems from the final patch.) :)

This has been a fun experience and I hope to continue to be able to
contribute to the project again soon :)

Kind regards,

Devon H. O'Dell