Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2018 21:16:37 +0200
From:      Sid <sid@bsdmail.com>
To:        "Eitan Adler" <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-doc@freebsd.org" <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Documentation should rely on stylesheets for XML not txt tools

Thank you for your response. The tools I'm referring to are igor and xmllint.

Mention of igor is here, https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/overview.html . (the other link had the mistake of including the sentence punctuation)
Mention of xmllint is in chapter 7.2.

Other tools used are text editors in Chapter 15: Vim, Emacs, Nano
The problem is not the text editors, because any and more should be allowed. Each one of these three text editors must have configuration set up, which is good, except when the program misbehaves. The set up for tabs is great, but to include them in checking for errors make it difficult.

Earlier what I should have said is, there needs to be a parser that uses the FreeBSD stylesheet to fix the spacing and tabbing outside of XML elements, once or after it is submitted. Instead of igor, all that should be checked is the XML/Docbook syntax, and maybe spelling errors and FreeBSD jargon.

I've tried editing on my pc, but once I edit an indent or spacing, I can't get it back, without getting rid of spacing errors on igor. I know I lack understanding of something for that to happen, but it is complex beyond necessity, and I get errors popping up in chapters I didn't touch.

I think simplifying the process so that only Docbook needs to be learned well for edit proposals will make it easier for those submitting bug reports, and especially for committers. Simplifying it wouldn't hurt with retaining contributors.

Also, I would like to see the ability for edits to be made based from inside elements of the id attribute of a chapter or part. For example (not a Docbook example) <part id="3-downloading-freebsd">...</part>. In other words, the line numbering would start from an id attribute within a part or chapter, and the submission would be based on the opening and closing elements from that id in that part or chapter.