Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 1995 18:53:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        et-users@netrail.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ET-users] crash

Nathan Stratton writes:

> Oct 22 16:46:09 nr-dc-1 /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo
> Oct 22 16:46:40 nr-dc-1 last message repeated 9 times
> Oct 22 16:48:43 nr-dc-1 last message repeated 27 times
> Oct 22 16:58:50 nr-dc-1 last message repeated 88 times
> Oct 22 17:04:25 nr-dc-1 /kernel: FreeBSD 2.0.5-RELEASE #0: Sat Oct 21 21:32:22  1995
> Oct 22 17:04:26 nr-dc-1 /kernel:     root@nr-dc-1:/usr/src/sys/compile/LOCAL
>
> And then it boots up fine. I have only noticed the actualy panic message
> once, is ther a way to log this so I can get more info at what is causing
> this?

This is an old bug.  It was fixed along with a slew of others that
crept in when the new routing code was added.

I was never bitten by this particular bug but various route cloning
bugs did bite me quite often on my router.  I worked around it by
disabling route cloning.

In the function in_addroute() in netinet/in_rmx.c, comment out this
section of code.

        /*
         * For IP, all unicast non-host routes are automatically cloning.
         */
        if(!(rt->rt_flags & (RTF_HOST | RTF_CLONING))) {
                if(!IN_MULTICAST(ntohl(sin->sin_addr.s_addr))) {
                        rt->rt_flags |= RTF_PRCLONING;
                }
        }

An even better solution is to upgrade to 2.1.

If the system is panicing, it should also be saving a copy of the
running system in the swap space, if dumps are enabled, and you
have enough swap space, and /var/crash exists, and /var/crash has
enough space.

Are there any other arp* messages in the log?  Do you see a "mb_map
full" message in the log?

John Capo
IRBS Engineering                      High performance FreeBSD systems