Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 17:21:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Little PPP stupid probs...

Sorry about this crap... I'm behaving like a lazy beginner, sorry.

I tried to use ppp's term command to log in and effectively remarked that
my chat script wasn't correct. So here is my little session:

// these are comments...

// I tried to make an entry in ppp.conf as "derby"
beaupran@outpost [4:57pm] ~> ppp derby
Working in interactive mode
Using interface: tun0
ppp ON outpost> dial
Dial attempt 1 of 1
Phone: 514 343 2411
Warning: DialModem: dial failed.
// ...but it didn't work!
ppp ON outpost> accept pap
// thought that they *may* use pap, even if I authentified before...
// I then enter term mode because it seems it's better this way:
ppp ON outpost> term
Working in interactive mode
Entering terminal mode.
Type `~?' for help.
OK
atdt3432411
CONNECT 115200

Serveur de terminaux AS1.CC.
(? = commandes;  AIDE = aide;  MOTD = message du jour)

User Access Verification

Username: beaupran
Password:
// these are correct usernames/passwords, or else I wouldn't get this prompt:
umnet>ppp derby.jsp
// this is what was missing in the chat script (derby.jsp)
Entering PPP mode.
Async interface address is unnumbered (Ethernet0)
Your IP address is 132.204.45.26. MTU is 1500 bytes
Header compression will match your system.

~ppp ON outpost> Packet mode.

ppp ON outpost>
PPP ON outpost> Warning: Del route failed: 0.0.0.0: Non-existent
// I don't understand this ast message...
// I then wait a few minutes and it simply disconnects...
PPP ON outpost> fetchmail: no other fetchmail is running
Can't connect to audio server

ppp ON outpost> q

I guess I'm missing some info about that ISP...

Sorry again for being so imprecise...

There's one other thing... This last try in term mode didn't issue any
log. Is it nmormal?

Thanks!

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, BEAUPRE Antoine wrote:
>
> > Sorry forgot to attach... :)
>
> Analysis:  The remote isn't responding to your configuration requests.
> Log in manually and make sure the 'ppp' command executed successfully.
>
> These are Cisco term servers, we use the same thing at the UO.  You've got
> the right sequence, assuming that ppp actually launches and doesn't flop
> on a permissions problem.
>
> Doug White
> Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | www.freebsd.org