Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 13:43:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Ryan Dewalt <rdewalt@meridianksi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB HIDs

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Ryan Dewalt wrote:

> I've recently reverse engineered a small piece of hardware, The
> 'Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic Commander" (MSSC hereafter).

What do you mean by "reverse-engineering"?  I wrote a userland USB HID
driver using libusb for an experimental RTS game engine as an afternoon
project -- no "reverse-engineering" required at all, and my driver works
equally well with the Strategic Commander or a Gravis USB gamepad or
probably any other USB mouse or joystick-like device.  usb(3) is your
friend.

I haven't yet figured out how to turn on the lights under some of the
buttons, however.  If you figured this out, please tell me how to do
it. :)

Brian

--
Brian Buchanan                                     brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU