Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:24:30 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

From: "Peter Radcliffe" <pir@pir.net>
> Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> probably said:
> > "cron'd events", such as if you add your own cron jobs, cron will
> > email you if the process fails, or output from the process when
> > it succeeds (depending on how you have the job setup).  Cron itself
> > expects it can send mail.  So does lpd (if a user does 'lpr -m',
> > for instance).
>
> So why can't we run sendmail by default, just with no '-bd' option
> so it doesn't listen on port 25. Local mail will get delivered,
> it's not a remote security problem ...

With the latest changes in 4.4-PRERELEASE, rc, rc.conf have options to setup
the server for outbound only mode:

sendmail_enable="YES"   # Run the sendmail inbound daemon (or NO).
sendmail_flags="-bd -q30m" # Flags to sendmail (as a server)
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"   # Dequeue stuck mail (or YES).
sendmail_outbound_flags="-q30m" # Flags to sendmail (outbound only)

So setting "sendmail_enable" to "NO" and setting "sendmail_outbound_enable"
to "Yes" will accomplish this task.

All that's needed is to fix sysinstall to choose 3 modes for sendmail:

    1. Normal mode
    2. Queue mode
    3. Disabled

Scot