Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:09:17 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Thomas Schuerger <schuerge@wurzelausix.CS.Uni-SB.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD won't boot

Thomas Schuerger wrote:

> I have Win95 and FreeBSD 4.0-Current on my system.

What version of FreeBSD you originally had in your system?

> Today I had to reinstall Win95, which overwrites the master boot record.
> After that I used fdisk to switch to FreeBSD and used /stand/sysinstall
> to install the FreeBSD selector boot record (I set the FreeBSD and the
> Win95 partition to bootable first).

This /stand/sysinstall is the one on the hard drive, correct? I
assume you never, ever, did cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall; make all
install, correct? Thus, this sysinstall corresponds to the
originally installed FreeBSD version. One needs the latest loader to
boot current -current kernels. I don't recall the exact dates for
the latest loader, but the specific patch that is needed was
committed sometime in march, I think.

> Now the boot selector will be displayed, but I cannot run FreeBSD from
> it anymore. It will just show the boot prompt in the boot loader and
> won't accept to boot from my SCSI drive, where the FreeBSD and Win95
> partition are located (using "0:da(0,a)kernel", which should work).

0:da(0,a)kernel will certainly not work for loader, only boot2. Is
loader being loaded at all? If not, you *definitely* don't have a
latest version installed. In this case, try "0:da(0,a)/boot/loader".
If that proceeds to boot your kernel correctly, do a "disklabel -B
da0", and everything will be back to normal.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"nothing better than the ability to perform cunning linguistics"