Date:      Sat, 8 Aug 1998 11:47:17 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        Oliver Thuns <oliver.thuns@gmx.de>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cursor keys, console and telnet

> I cannot use the cursor keys on the shell (csh), doesn't matter if I'm
> working on the console or using telnet (Win95 Telnet.exe). With Linux
> (bash) I had no problems to get previous shell command with the up key,
> etc...

I'm assuming you're not doing any of this as root, since root really should
use /bin/csh or /bin/sh.

If you are, create a user that you're going to use when not installing
programs and changing system stuff.  Then play around with the stuff below
if things still don't work.

Try, on console:

setenv TERM cons25      (if you have a standard 25 line console)
OR
setenv TERM pc          (just something that seems to work)

Should start working.

To change your shell to tcsh:

chsh -s /usr/local/bin/tcsh           (assuming you've installed tcsh)
(if not, cd /usr/ports/shell/tcsh && make install, and then chsh)

Put these in your ~/.tcshrc
bindkey -k up history-search-backward
bindkey -k down history-search-forward

To change your shell to bash:

chsh -s /usr/local/bin/bash           (assuming you've installed bash)
(if not, cd /usr/ports/shell/bash && make install, and then chsh)

If you're using win95 telnet, try:

setenv TERM vt100

Hope this helps,

Neil