Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:36:21 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multihoming alternatives

On Monday, September 30, 2002, at 11:58  AM, Paul Keith wrote:
> First I would like to apologise if this is not the place for such
> questions.
> I am looking for links/tips/'intel' on building redundant/multihomed
> network that sits on a /29, (to serve webpages and mail to its clients on
> different AS's to produce proper redundancy), without resorting to BGP
> configurations or coloating with a large backbone.Is this possible?

In which case, your easiest bet is to run two data lines (DS-1's or
whatever) in a redundant topology from one provider.  With Cisco routers,
I believe the term is "DHRP".  The obvious problem is that if your
upstream provider goes down, you're out of service.  However, you can
survive a failure of either data link or a local router, which covers
several probable failure modes.

Multihoming with two different network providers requires you to either
have a /20 and be globally routable (via ARIN, and yes, you'll have to do
BGP/EGP peering), or else you'll need to multihome your web server on
seperate IP networks from seperate providers.

DNS should round-robin the A records if you list several, but that still
isn't perfect, since dumb clients won't, but it's better than nothing.
Besides, if you do have a significant outage that will take at least hours
to fix, you can adjust your DNS to disable the downed IP.

> How will this DNS server run in a multihomed enviroment? Is it possible
> to load balance across 2 or 3 DNS servers or am I being silly?

Of course it's possible to load balance between multiple DNS servers; just
list multiple NS records for the zone.  While it's okay to run DNS on a
multihomed box, you should not assume that a single machine with 2
interfaces is redundant.  You should use several DNS servers, some offsite
or located with someone else's ISP.

-Chuck

        Chuck Swiger | chuck@codefab.com | All your packets are belong to
us.