Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:41:35 +0200
From:      Jonathan McKeown <jonathan@hst.org.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fdisk from fixit CD: geom not found

On Sunday 17 February 2008 23:55, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > I'd still rather there wasn't an ``error'' message at all unless there's
> > a genuine error: I'm planning for the case of an operator with limited
> > skills doing a ``monkey see, monkey do'' restore (not trying to be rude,
> > but
>
> monkey can do ifconfig, route and /etc/rc.d/sshd start
>
> then you do the rest

Except this is a disaster recovery plan: it must not rely on me being
available. I'm looking at a scenario in which the survivors of the disaster
have bought replacement hardware, hired someone who's done a bit of Linux,
and handed them a set of offsite backup tapes and a ring-binder. (I can get
most sites tapes offsite by 60+km on a daily basis: if a disaster
simultaneously takes out, for example, the city of Durban - at sea level,
population 3.5 million - and Pietermaritzburg, 80km inland and 750 metres
above sea level, I'm not sure restoring our backups is going to be the
biggest worry.)

Jonathan