Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 1995 12:09:45 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot disk....

J Wunsch stands accused of saying:
> > And tell me, how the heck am I going to read that if I can't get the
> > *#$(*@ system to boot in the first place?
>
> By documentation provided along with the boot image file.  For example
> the excellent handbook. :)
>
> It's impossible to put the entire README into the bootstrapper anyway.

No, but it _is_ possible to add a little intelligence, and a little
more onscreen context can only help.

> I'm really afraid of too much bloat here.

How may MB for your DM, Jo"rg?  I can imagine the bootstrap module might make
it to 150-200K if we go _completely_ overboard.

That's what, 200msec to load?  If it has nothing to do, the timeout's not
going to be any longer than the current bootstrap; the code won't be anywhere
once it's finished, and hell, the kernel may even _lose_ some size.

> cheers, J"org

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[