Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:58:22 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com>
To:        alexus <ml@db.nexgen.com>
Cc:        "Haapanen, Tom" <tomh@metrics.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Migrating users

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 03:04:39PM -0400, alexus thus sprach:
> well duh.. ofcourse password files and home directories are the key!
>
> as it was mention earlier we only was talking about /etc/master.passwd
>
> and i said this one file is not enough

> maybe you've done it on linux... but in bsd you need to save/copy:
> home directory(s)
> /etc/passwd
> /etc/master.passwd
> /etc/pwd.db
> /etc/spwd.db

If you've installed a new system you will no doubt notice there are
more priveledge/system entries [UID less than 1000] than in older
version.  BIND for instance has it's own UID/GID as it now lives in
a sandbox.

I'd just take the real users from the old file and append them to
the new master.passwd.  Using vipw then your pwd.db will be created
automatically.  If you move those to the new system you might find
that you have system type accounts that are not in the pwd.db.

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com