Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:45:07 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Christo Buschek <buschekc@sbox.tugraz.at>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gdm login

Christo Buschek wrote:

>hello. hopefully you can help me.
>
>i have just installed freebsd 5.1 and wanted, that gdm automatically
>starts after booting to login. i changed in /etc/ttys the following line:
>
>ttyv0 "/usr/X11R6/bin/gdm" gdm on secure
>
>gdm is starting with this, but i'm unable to login as a different user
>than root. even if i login with my default user woo and woo's password,
>gdm is starting gnome as root. any hints?
>
>greetinx
>christo

I don't know if I can help or not:  two things here.
One is that the "newbies" list is generally not the
place for questions, so we may get flamed (but
likely only with a small match, not napalm or
anything.

The second issue:  I don't use GDM.  I simply
have "startx" in my .login and "exec gnome-session"
(and nothing else) in my .xinitrc.

Did you see the following during your install?
    GDM is installed.

    Do _NOT_ use /etc/ttys to start gdm at boot time.
    This will result in gdm hanging or restarting constantly.
    Instead, copy the included gdm.sh.sample script to
    gdm.sh, and restart.  This script is found, by default, in
    /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d.

Maybe that's the thing you need.

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.