Date:      Mon, 22 Aug 2016 12:05:21 -0400
From:      pathiaki2 <pathiaki2@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange pkg behavior

Good day,

I'm having a behavior with pkg that I don't understand after reading
maillists, man pages, etc.

I have RT4.4 installed.

I perform pkg update, pkg upgrade, and then get the following:

root@ticket:/ # pkg upgrade
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
Checking for upgrades (8 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (8 candidates): 100%
The following 6 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
     rt42: 4.2.13
     p5-HTML-FormatExternal: 26
     p5-constant-defer: 6
     lynx: 2.8.8.2_4,1
     p5-FCGI-ProcManager: 0.25

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
     p5-RT-Authen-ExternalAuth: 0.25_2 -> 0.26

Number of packages to be installed: 5
Number of packages to be upgraded: 1

The process will require 29 MiB more space.
6 MiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: n
root:/ # pkg upgrade -f p5-RT-Authen-ExternalAuth
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
The following 6 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
     rt42: 4.2.13
     p5-HTML-FormatExternal: 26
     p5-constant-defer: 6
     lynx: 2.8.8.2_4,1
     p5-FCGI-ProcManager: 0.25

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
     p5-RT-Authen-ExternalAuth: 0.25_2 -> 0.26

Number of packages to be installed: 5
Number of packages to be upgraded: 1

The process will require 29 MiB more space.
6 MiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: ^Cpkg:
signal received, cleaning up

root:/ #

I'm confused by this.  First, I thought that I could force the upgrade
of an individual package which I am trying to do with
p5-RT-Authen-ExternalAuth.  However, this seems to want rt42. Shouldn't
it allow me to update that individual package?  I know a workaround is
to just build the port and everything will be fine, however, I think
this is a bug of incorrect behavior in pkg.  If not, could someone
explain this to me?  Did I miss something in the docs somewhere?

Thank you,

P.