Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 2002 13:19:29 -0600
From:      Hari Bhaskaran <subscr@spider.netmails.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Allowing outgoing passive ftp via IPFILTER

Hi,

I have an IPFILTER firewall that, ideally, should not
allow any arbitrary outgoing connections. So right
now, I only allow 25, 80 and 21. The machine itself
is behind one more firewall (at least temporarily)
so that I can't do active ftp even if the IPFILTER
does any kind of proxying.

Is there a way to allow passive *outgoing* ftp via
IPFILTER. I have tried using dummy IPNAT via
map 0.0.0.0/0 -> 0.0.0.0/32 proxy port ftp ftp/tcp
(after enabling ipnat_enable=yes in /etc/rc.conf)
That didn't work either.

The docs I read didn't make it clear if the IPFILTER's
proxy is trying to proxy a ftp server behind a firewall
or an ftp client behind a firewall. In my case I am
not running any ftp service. I am merely
just trying to get an ftp client to work.

So short of

    passs out quick on fxp0 proto tcp any to any

is there a way I can make IPFILTER temporarily
enable an 'destination' port based on the current
ftp session.

I would be the only one using ftp from this machine,
so even if I could force the ftp-server (probably not,
since I am only a remote client) to use a pre-set
port on its end for passive ftp connections, even
that is fine.

BTW, if ipfw or ipchains or any such alternatives
can do this, I am also ready to switch to that
firewall setup.

--
Hari Bhaskaran