Date:      20 Jun 2002 17:09:54 +0200
From:      Henri Michelon <Henri.Michelon@e-cml.org>
To:        AZNPrideChinese@worldnet.att.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: permission problem

Le Jeu 20/06/2002 =E0 04:33, AZN Unix a =E9crit :
> how come when i use a regular user name i can't access the ppp file? and =
i=20
> have root set it so that other users can execute the file but my reg name=
=20
> still can't use it
>=20

Setting the setuid bit for ppp (dangerous) or changing the mode of
ppp.conf is a bad idea (since ISP passwords are stored in it).

The best (read: most secure) way is to run ppp in 'auto' mode and use
the following statements in the ppp.conf to allow a regular user to run
and control the ppp damon:

 allow users username
 set server +3000 cleartextpassword

Use 'pppctl 3000' to take control of the daemon.