Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:01:14 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        marco carvalho <mc@speakeasy.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compiling error..plz help!

marco carvalho wrote:

> Im running FreeBSD 3.4  and..
> here is the error when i am trying to update gcc from the ports:
>
> {standard input}: xgcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
> gmake[2]: *** [rtlanal.o] Error 1
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/lang/egcs/work/gcc-2.95.2/gcc'
> gmake[1]: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/lang/egcs/work/gcc-2.95.2/gcc'
> gmake: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> root@lucidflux:/usr/ports/lang/egcs# Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:2199: Warning: Partial line at end of file ignored
>
> root@lucidflux:/usr/ports/lang/egcs#
>
> oh yea...and btw, the reason im trying to update gcc is b/c i wanna upgrade to
> 4.0, when i tried to make a buildworld, i'd get erroros, i was wondering what
> version of gcc is needed to compile FreeBSD 4.0

I didn't see this one. You have to follow /usr/src/UPDATING to the
letter. It has a sequence that can't really be deviated from. It
builds what it needs first and then you do your buildworld. Once you
do the pre-build, the guru's have written that if it fails you do a
clean reinstall of 3.4. I had it fail and UPDATING was changed to
eliminated any assumptions we had. I ended up doing a clean install of
4.0. I really needed to reconfigure my system and this was the time I
chose to do that. It was also the first time I had a system backup
fail on my dat drive. I only lost a couple of major programs but they
were all still available on CDROM. I only lost time.

Kent

> thats it...how do i fix it?...please help me, i'd appreciate it dearly..Thanx

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME