Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 2002 09:13:15 -0700
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sed -i

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 09:31:14AM -0500, David Syphers wrote:
> As I said in an email that was bounced from ports@ because "Message content
> rejected", I am running my package builds in a sandbox. The sandbox is
> 4.6.2-R, because that's the environment of the machine I'm installing these
> programs on. My computer, on the other hand, is running -stable. I have to
> use a sandbox because 'make package' irritatingly needs to install a package
> to build it, and many of the packages I'm trying to build are already
> installed on my machine. I'm sorry this isn't a supported configuration, but
> there is a hack that works - install sed_inplace manually, remove
> /usr/bin/sed, and replace it with a link to /usr/local/bin/sed_inplace.
>
> Thanks for helping me understand why my configuration caused this problem to
> be particularly nasty.
>
> Now I just hope this message isn't rejected  :)

If by a "sandbox" you mean a chroot or similar, that's the cause
of the problem.  The uname(2) syscall depends on the kernel to
provide it.  We do exactly the same thing for the package build
clusters.  Except that, instead of doing something ugly like you
mention here, we simply hack uname(1) instead.  That works fine
as long as the underlying kernel isn't too far out of sync with
the userland used in the chroot.  It makes sense as well, since
it is the greatest common denominator solution.

regards,
--
wca