Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 06:09:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        drk@mda.ca, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Ports: gnat-2.03

> I am interested in running GNAT (the GNU Ada Translator) under FreeBSD 2.2.2,
> but it appears that your "ports" entry is quite stale ... GNAT is currently
> at version 3.09 and the ports entry wants to download version 2.03 which is
> no longer available from cs.nyu.edu ... (I have recently purchased Walnut
> Creek's CDROMs for FreeBSD 2.2.2 and Ada ... and several others).
>
> Can you please tell me if you will be updating this information shortly, or
> alternatively, do you know where I can obtain GNAT binaries for FreeBSD ?
> I understand that GNAT's front-end is itself written in Ada and therefore
> one requires a version of GNAT to compile it (or newer versions) from the
> source code.

Maurice Castro has a port for GNAT-3.09.  At his request, I modified it
to make it build cleanly (so that it wasn't dependent on different GCC
2.7.2.1 source code repositories in different versions of -stable and
-current).  I sent it to Satoshi earlier this week, so hopefully it will
be committed shortly.

If you want to get started now, you can get the last GNAT-3.09 package
that Maurice did at:

  ftp://ftp2.serc.rmit.edu.au/pub/maurice/gnat

If you wish to use this to rebuild the port from source, I can make the
port I sent to Satoshi available.

> BTW - I've already asked ACT (Ada Core Technologies) about GNAT under FreeBSD
> and they were most unhelpful ... just cross-compile it was their response!

That's how I originally built it ;-)

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org