Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 17:16:56 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@logisticsoftware.co.nz>, R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why Doesn't XFree86 Upgrade Properly

Laurence Berland wrote:

> Logical and oft-quoted extension:   If you think you've got a hardware
> problem, try building something big.  Too many people report panics on
> make buildworlds only to find it's the first sign of the death of their
> RAM.

Try a buildworld with a large -j number as well, depending on how much
RAM you have. I typically use -j4 for a normal build, more like -j20 to
stress test things a bit. I think that was with 64MB of RAM, you could
use higher -j with more RAM.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D