Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:23:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Paul Saab <paul@mu.org>, Mike Smith <msmith@mass.osd.bsdi.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Really odd "BTX halted" problem booting FreeBSD on VALinux hardware

I've messed with these a lot and I'm pretty sure that the bios is trying
to be 'compatible' with the geometry information it finds on the disk,

Theoretically, if you set up a disk with one brand X disk controller,
you'll get a different fake CHS mapping than you would with a brand Y
controller.  So, say you set up a machine and fdisk/label all your disks,
then your controller dies, you go to the store and find that no identical
one is available, you buy another one because you're uh, under pressure to
get the machine working.  With older controllers, things may not work
right if the geometry was different than expected on the disk.  So,
theoretically a controller could read the geometry it finds there and then
use whatever it finds as the right mapping.

I think where the motherboard you mention gets hosed is when it tries to
read the geometry and finds the bogus boot1 stuff there.  Shrug.  For me,
I didn't even need 2 disks to make it fail -- single disk, and you cant
even boot a floppy (or the disk) when it finds a partition table.  I'll
definitely switch to non-dangerous installs if/when the patch that was
posted gets put in.  In fact, I'll probably start using it anyway :)

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.