Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:31:00 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   More on T30 and 1440x1050 dispaly w/ ATI Radeon chip

I have continued to examine the behavior of my IBM T30 with a
1440x1050 display and the ATI Mobility M7 (LW) video chip set.

A quick warning: Be very careful about plugging in a second monitor to
the unit! I did do and the unit decided that it would only run at
1280x1024 resolution and would start with about a half inch of video
at the bottom of the screen.

If I used the Fn-F7 to switch between displays I learned that the
display came up fine on the second monitor and, when switched back to
the LCD screen, it would display properly, except that the resolution
was reduced to 1280x1024.

I then shut down and unplugged the external monitor. When I rebooted,
everything was fine and I had 1440x1050 again.

This behavior is very weird to me. I was hoping to get the second
monitor to run Xinerama, but now I'm unsure that I can do much of
anything with it.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)