Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 2020 12:46:27 -0700
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: maintaining CRYPTO_TIMING

On 6/12/20 9:14 AM, Mark Johnston wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that the opencrypto framework maintains counters for various
> operations.  These counters are all global and are updated
> non-atomically, so they aren't SMP-friendly and won't be precise.  I
> wrote a patch to convert them to counter(9), which fixes both issues,
> and I note that kern.crypto_stats was renamed to kern.crypto.stats in
> HEAD so presumably we can use this opportunity to break the sysctl ABI
> as well (the counters have to be widened from 32 bits to 64 bits).
> Nothing in the base system seems to actually fetch these counters
> outside of some code under tools/, which wasn't updated when the sysctl
> was renamed.

I think this is fine.  I'd probably not oppose just removing the stats
outright though.  Not clear to me how useful they really are (I've never
used them, always used dtrace or other stats that are more specific)

> There is also CRYPTO_TIMING, which attempts to measure the time elapsed
> during various stages of cryptop processing.  This similarly assumes
> that processing is single-threaded and I guess is really only useful to
> OCF driver developers.  It has been in the tree for a very long time,
> but has anyone actually used it?  I would like to remove it since it
> complicates the above-mentioned patch and is of limited usefulness in
> SMP systems.  DTrace or some per-cryptop scheme could be used instead if
> it is really worth having that functionality, but I don't want to write
> a patch to implement that unless someone really wants it.

This can go.  I do use DTrace a fair bit when debugging driver issues, but
I haven't used any of this stuff at all.  For real profiling pmcstat is a
better tool.

--
John Baldwin