Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:24:06 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Laptop install update

OK.  I had a Digital HighNote II Ultra (courtesy of Randy Bush) that I
wanted to put 4.0 on for testing.  4.0 RELEASE refused to install for
me, and I pulled all the tricks out of my, um brain[*] that I could
think of to try to get it to install.  Nothing worked, no how, no way,
I was SOL for doing a network install.

I just tried the June 22 releng4 snapshot and it worked great the
first time.  I was able to do this with a minimum of fuss.  I did take
the precaution of eliminating all the legacy isa devices that I simply
do not have in my machine, and setting the interrupt for the pcic to
15 (there was no secondary IDE controller) so that the choice of use
IRQ 10 and 11 from the install menu would work :-).

It looks like iwasaki-san's changes to pccardd/sysinstall have been a
good thing.  I'm going to recommend that people install from the
latest 4.0 stable snapshot rather than 4.0 RELEASE for this reason.  I
wanted to record this recommendation in the mailing list archives.

Warner