Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 07:12:08 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: *BSD comparision (fwd)

> That's quite impossible, I'm afraid. I.e. starting from scratch will
> mean to take installation into account and NetBSD will clearly loose
> against FreeBSD and a Linux/*BSD comparision will probably be more

Sorry Martin, but you can't structure the evaluation so that weak
spots are deliberately avoided or it's not much of an evaluation
then. :-) The installation and general "pain factor" count for
something and I don't care if you're Joe Newbie or Seymore Cray.
Nobody likes having to do more work than necessary.

You don't make the installation and configuration part of your
evaluation the entire judgement criteria, of course, but it counts for
something and you have to factor it in when you present your overall
bad/good ratings chart at the end.

Most importantly, such a review needs to be done by someone who's
diligent and patient enough to poke into every corner, merciless
enough to be unforgiving of any clear shortcoming or defect,
intelligent enough to know a serious problem from a minor one and,
most importantly, thoroughly disassociated with any of the OSes being
compared. Biased reviews I can read all day, and it's only the
unbiased ones which have any real value to me since I know I'm getting
a truly untainted and clear-headed appraisal of the product.

There are a lot of writers at UNIX Review and related mags who could
do such an unbiased review (the ones you generally see writing
articles about Solaris or AIX), hopefully of reasonable quality and
for a large audience, but the magazines obviously don't see it as
worth their while yet since such "test lab" reviews have yet to
appear.

					Jordan