Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 2020 02:10:32 +0000
From:      Raj J Putari <jmaharaj2013@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Idea: Signing software with stuff like ssl certs

No code yet, I don=92t want to use qemu because I heard its fast, but reall=
y hacky, but I=92m working on buying parallels on the third with my SSI mon=
ey because my dad bought me a mac pro 2013 off amazon (which is amazing by =
the way)

For ports and packages, a package distributor signs the software with an en=
crypted key, and in the kernel we check it and decrypt it on the fly, or st=
ore information in the swap (which can be encrypted as well), or in a direc=
tory, I suggest in the /var or possible /usr directory, but I don=92t reall=
y want to break heirachy for systematic reasons

In the kernel, probably in some directory, we have a source file that loads=
, checks, and does various checks on the cert and checks it, and if it pass=
es the tests, it loads it into memory and executes it, using conventional p=
rogramming

Failing that, and I can work on this later, but I prefer if someone else di=
d, we can just have a userland application that generates a key and signs i=
t (not sure how, I haven=92t really googled or checked on it)

Also we need some kind of web site and possible a protocol (welcome back 90=
s) that deals with issuing certificates for software such as applications, =
software, and device drivers, kind of like letsencrypt

My logic is that if you cannot access a resource due to encryption, you can=
not hack it

I honestly suggest. Fork, since if you encrypt the entire kernel, theres go=
ing to be problems, so I strongly suggest everyone team up with their assoc=
iates and make a fork, or possibly implement it in openbsd

What does everyone think? When I get my check, im going to cludge around in=
 FBSD13-CURRENT