Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:31:22 +0200
From:      "Ulrich Windl" <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@bresler.org>
Cc:        freebsd-test@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail service denied

On 16 Apr 2002, at 11:25, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> Ulrich,
>
> 	your email contains a header Message-ID: which is supposed to
> uniquely identify the email from all other email messages in the
> world.  this is generally accomplished by combining the date and time
> stamp, the fully qualified domain name of the sending computer and a
> counter.  every computer can legitimately claim to be "localhost", so this
> is not useful.

Jonathan,

I asked about the author of the mail program about that. Basically the
message ID conforms. The author said the localhost is because of the
problems getting a good hostname from MS-Windows. You know there are
spaces permitted in Windows host names. I can do little about that.
Despite of that the author assured the message IDs have a very high
probability to be unique. I would call your policy over-restrictive.

MS-Windows, is a fact of life, even if I don't like it.

> 	please see about configuring your email software to use the fully
> qualified domain name in place of "@localhost"

Sorry I cannot.

Regards,
Ulrich