Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:25:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kurt Wuensche <kwuensche@yahoo.com>
To:        "tjk@tksoft.com" <tjk@tksoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Route strangeness

--- "tjk@tksoft.com" <tjk@tksoft.com> wrote:
> Kurt,
>
> 1. I presume you have a dialup connection with ppp.
>    Can you detail your outside connections? I.e.
>    do you also have a local LAN, etc..

Yes, it is ppp, but I have a fulltime-dedicated dailup
connection.  I have a local LAN w/ a class H address
and a couple of machines on it that use the 2.2.5 box
as a gateway.  Been running this way for 2 years w/ no
problems.

> 2. Do you have other routers on any of your local
> networks

No routers or gateways on my little LAN.

> 3. Did you do try tcpdump while doing the pings, and
> while
>    connecting with telnet? What did you see on the
> ppp
>    interface? Did you see packets going to other
> interfaces?

Unfortunately I was at work when I did the "remote"
ping and wasn't logged into the system to see tcpdump.
Packets can still move on my LAN and to my gateway on
the ISP.

> 4. Did you try "traceroute -n" to the router, and to
> the
>    outside address?

Traceroute from outside shows the packets getting to
the ISP gateway, but time out when they should be
returing from me.  Traceroute from the 2.2.5 machine
fails past the ISP gateway.  Unfortunately I don't yet
have logs of the exact error (cant remember if it was
not route to host or just a timeout)

> 5. Do you have any firewalling enabled?

No firewalling is enabled.

> 6. Does your ISP have firewalling enabled? Badly
> configured
>    smurf rules which block all ICMP packets, etc.
>    misconfigurations?

They tell me they do not accept ICMP redirects.  I do
not know if they run a firewall, but they told me they
have changed nothing on my setup since this problem
started occuring.

I have been searching the archives, re-reading CERT,
and still have not found reference to this type of
attack, but since the system has been running solid
for over two years and no routing or configuration
changes have been made, I can only conclude that this
is an attack-ppp bugs surely would have surfaced by
now.  The fact that its happening to my friend with
2.2.8, further eliminates the possibility of bad
hardware.

The fact that ping and traceroute timeout, but a
telnet login can occur after a two or three minute
delay tells me that basic routing must be intact.

As I mentioned, the problem is intermittent, but I am
developing some time slice logging scripts to capture
tcpdump/netstat -s/ping/traceroute messages so I can
correlate the timing of any events here.

Thanks, Kurt