Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 16:15:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xmcd questions

 * In the last port of xmcd, I patched it to not ask the operator so
 * many questions.  How [about] using PACKAGE_BUILDING for that also?

Oh, the NO_PROMPT stuff?  I took a look at the patch, it seems like
the things you turned off really don't need to be asked.  (If people
want to install X binaries in somewhere other than /usr/X11R6/bin,
they have many more things to worry about than just xmcd....)  So I
recommend leaving those alone.

 * And instead of configuring a default CD-ROM drive, what about _not_
 * running the configure script when PACKAGE_BUILDING is defined?
 * We can instead echo a message to inform the operator that the
 * configure needs to be run.  This way, we won't override an existing
 * CD-ROM configuration.

Yes.  You can put that in pkg/MESSAGE.  This will be always printed
out when the user installs the package, but since I'm not going to run
the configure script when I build the package (and even if I do, my
CDROM is most likely different from most of the users anyway), it is
ok.

You can protect it for the local case by something like:

post-build:
.if defined(PACKAGE_BUILDING)
	@${CAT} ${PKGDIR}/MESSAGE
.else