Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:58:58 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
Cc:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.ORG>, Calvin Varney <calvin@varney.org>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port/package guidelines (Ant)

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 12:25:40PM -0400, Dylan Carlson wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 August 2002 06:20am, Ernst de Haan wrote:
> > Yeah, good point! We could even have -cvs ports in addition to the existing
> > -devel ports :-)
>
> We should absolutely look to doing that.  If someone is using a -devel port
> they are specifically looking for bleeding edge code, and CVS is as good as
> it gets.

The only problem is that this completely violates one of the main port
security measures, checksumming of the downloaded source code.  In addition
you'll also lose tracking of port changes and upgrading with a tool like
portupgrade.

Basically, noone is going to either update checksums for every single source
file each time a commit happens or bump PORTREVISION.  Even if they were
to do that it would raise a huge outcry since it would bloat the ports
repository a lot.  Think of the packing list updates too.  Basically a
port which downloads source from CVS is essentially not a port in the
current sense of the word since it doesn't fit within the current ports
architecture and tools.

IMO, of course.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com