Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:27:10 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Rink Springer" <rink@springer.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer problems, please help

> However, whenever I try to print some image that is about 1MB in the print
> queue, the printer prints a small part, and the rest will not be printed. In
> fact, the entire queue entry is gone!
>
> Does anyone know what has caused this? I noticed some stray IRQ 7's, but
> even if I enable polling mode (using lptcontrol -p), it doesn't work. I need
> to get this printer working soon. It worked fine using RedHat Linux 6.1.

Sounds like you're overflowing the printer's buffer.  When you say "it
worked fine" under RedHat, did you actually attempt to print a large job?

The queue entry is "gone" because it's all been sent to the printer.

I suspect that you may need to enable "banding" mode in your printer
driver, or similar.  It's hard to guess, but you can be fairly certain
that FreeBSD isn't just "dropping" your print job (especially if the page
feeds correctly at the end).