Date:      Thu, 01 Jan 1998 17:59:35 -0800
From:      "Randy A. Katz" <randyk@ccsales.com>
To:        "Ronald Wiplinger" <ronald@trace.com.tw>, "FreeBSD-isp" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Etinc cards and SNMP

Hello,

At 08:54 AM 1/2/98 +0800, Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
>I have finally successfully installed the Etinc router cards on my FreeBSD
routers.

Finally? My installation(s) have always been very quick.

>BTW, the cards are good and stabled, but hopefully you do not need any
support from Etinc.

I disagree, though Dennis's tone is cold & calculated his ability to
assist, quickly, in every technical instance which related directly to HIS
product only was about the highest I found for any product.

Yes, his tone is cold. No, he will not answer related questions like how to
get routing running and how to do BGP peering and the like...but he shines
on getting that connection working and the protocol up and tested. I worked
with him for about 5-10 minutes each of 2 times (one for Frame Relay, the
other for PPP)...that was it...the rest was standard routing which I didn't
know and then had to learn some of (need to know more).

>-------------
>
>I try to use snmp to get information about the router traffic. MRTG is a
nice graphic program, that can show
>the traffic. I can find via snmp the interface name, but there are no
settings, like speed, bandwidth ... so that
>it does not gather information.

Sure it does, plug in ucb-snmp on the Unix box and do cfgmaker from mrtg on
public@ipaddress and away you will go...that's it.

>Has anybody Etinc router cards (or other ones) in use with snmp ?

Yep. What's a General Manager doing playing with this stuff...shouldn't you
be off managing and hire a techie to do this work?

Take Care,
Randy Katz