Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2020 16:41:05 +0000
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bad ZFS performance on the desktop

--FFoLq8A0u+X9iRU8

Hi,

I've used ZFS on my main desktop since it became available but I've never=
=20
gone for zfs-on-root.

For maximum flexibility I have the OS installed on SSD UFS and homedirs/dat=
a=20
on zfs. Presently there's 2x mirrors but it was a raidZ1 array at one time.

I've had the SSD go bad so have simply replaced it, installed latest
freebsd-12 from usb stick, then zpool imported my pools. I use zfs for the
data I care about if it gets mangled. So config files backups go there as
well. But such data doesn't need to be accessible very quickly, it just has
to be fast enough. I've always known there'll be a performance penalty beca=
use
zfs does so much stuff, I'm not using high-end hardware, so for me it doesn=
't
make sense to use zfs for the OS.

Another point, you might want to make sure your cluster size for your pool =
is
the native size for your disks. If they're mismatched it can result in poor=
er
disk i/o.
--=20
J.