Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 06:53:40 -0500
From:      Tyson <tysonb@gw2kbbs.com>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail running non-root SUCCESS!

Sean J. Schluntz wrote:

> Just to stick my nose in on this one for a moment.  I would in the
past, now,
> and will continue to vote for sendmail.  Just because another
projgram is
> newer does not mean that it is any easer to crack, it just means
that the

Nothing in life is certain; a newer tool may have had extremely
talented people with a gift for secure code, and massive luck on their
side. I wish I could say for certain that something WILL work.  I can only
tell you in terms of the relative probability. :(

> holes have not been discovered yet.  sendmail is not my favorit to
work on,
> but I will never trade it for anything else.

Before we get all crazy here (poems extolling the virtues of
sendmail, flames, & etc.), here is my $.02 worth; All you're talking about
here is a tool. Plain and simple.  I don't think I'll ever fall in love
with a hammer, but when I need to pound a nail, I look for it (usually
at the last place I used it... ;-)  ).  There are other tools, some
better suited to the job at hand, some that miss the mark in some way.
New tools come along every day. The fact remains, that when I need a
hammer, I'll come looking for one or something that passes for one.
When I need a screwdriver, I'll look for a screwdriver.  When I need a
tool to keep my network safe, I'll subscribe to the appropriate mailing
list.  A value judgement on a tool in this list devalues this list as
a tool; we're adults here, and the assumption that you know what
you're doing is a critical first step in finding a solution for whatever
issue you're facing at the moment.

To sum up, let's keep the discussion on track.