Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 16:00:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Lockups with -Stable on Athlon

(Forwarded to -stable, due to relevance to a prior comment of mine.)

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Jamie Norwood wrote:

> On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 03:19:36PM -0400, Chris BeHanna wrote:
> >     AMD specs a 400W power supply for a T-bird.  I don't know why the
> > other OSes work fine, but I would not try much more in the
> > hair-pulling department until you upgrade to an in-spec. power supply.
> > Antec makes a nice one with a bottom intake that can be had for around
> > $100, including shipping (that's what I'm running).  Your 250-watter
> > can then power your kids' Windoze box.
>
> Holy shit. Do you have a link on this spec? I just put a machine together
> for my uncle with a 250w PS and a 1.33Mhz Tbird, but it was a windoze box...

    http://www1.amd.com/athlon/npower/index/1,1712,,00.html

    Looks like I spoke out of turn.  *Some* mfgrs. power supplies are
OK at 300W.  *NO* 250W power supplies are listed.

> www.coolerguys.com has a great 431wPS that I have in my personal system.
> Has the downward fan, yet is far quieter than the 300w Antec it replaced,
> for 99.99+shipping.

    Hmm.

    I bought Antec based upon a power supply review I read about two
years ago, in which an Antec 300W power supply came out on top in
terms of system stability when powering a K6-2 500Mhz chip.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)