Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:38:32 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Porting Greg Lehey's rawio.c from FreeBSD to Linux...

Folks,

    I don't want to get into any OS wars here, but I'd like to do some
low-level disk benchmarking of a Linux system using the same tool I used
for that under FreeBSD, namely Greg Lehey's "rawio" (see
<ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/rawio.tar.gz>).

    This program was originally written to test his "vinum" software
mirroring/striping/RAID device driver for FreeBSD (see
<http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html>), but I believe that it would be
generally useful to do low-level disk testing under most any *nix OS.

    Anyway, if there's anyone out there with any experience in porting
programs that do low-level disk I/O, I'd appreciate it if you could take
a look at this program and give me some pointers on what it would take to
get it to compile and run under Linux (specifically, Debian Linux with
kernel 2.2.6).

    Also, since I'm not subscribed to either of these mailing lists and I
can't keep up with the newsgroup gateway for them, I would appreciate it
if you would also e-mail me any responses you might have on this subject.

    TIA!

--
Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org> <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/>;
    <http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE38CCEF1>;

Your mouse has moved.   Windows NT must be restarted for the change to
take effect.   Reboot now?  [ OK ]